As part of the Communicating Europe Initiative, the Environmental Pillar is holding a series of interactive seminars across the country with Irish Members in the European Parliament (MEPs).
The seminars – Right to Know, Right to Act: Your rights as a European Citizen – cover a range of topics around your rights as EU citizens to access information on the environment.
Independent MEP Marian Harkin will lead an interactive discussion and field questions from the audience. This is a great opportunity to directly engage with an MEP on local, national and European environmental issues.
Investigative journalist and editor Niall Sargent will also guide attendees on how they can use national and European laws to make official requests to access information on the environment as laid out in the Aarhus Convention.
The seminar will also include an introduction to the EU and an overview of European environmental policy from Francis Jacobs, a retired senior official at the European Parliament headquarters in Ireland.
The Environmental Pillar’s Justin Byrne will also provide an introduction to the Circular Economy.
- Introduction to the Environmental Pillar: Justin Byrne, Environmental Pillar
- Access to Information on the Environment: Niall Sargent, Investigative Journalism and Editor of The Green News
- The European Union, Environmental Policy and the role of the Citizen: Francis Jacobs, retired Head of Information Office in Ireland at the European Parliament
- The Circular Economy: Justin Byrne, Environmental Pillar
- Interactive Discussion with Irish MEP Marian Harkin