Explainer: The relationship between the Beast from the East and climate

March 5th, 2018 The Beast from the East and Storm Emma have come and gone and we can thankfully look forward to the big thaw over the next few days. Having survived the exceptionally cold temperatures and blizzards not seen on our island in decades, some, understandably, may be confused by all this talk of […]

UNFCCC Executive Secretary Christiana Figueres Photo: UN Climate Change BOonn

Things are starting to heat up for climate deniers and laggards

November 7th, 2017 The first two weeks in November may well prove to be important for global and Irish efforts to tackle climate change. On the international stage, we saw the publication of the US Global Change Research Program Climate Science Special Report and widespread media coverage of the latest scientific findings that atmospheric carbon […]

97% of studies agree climate change is real – new research shows the 3% that don’t are flawed

September 13th, 2017 Readers will no doubt be familiar with the oft-quoted statement that ’97 per cent of scientific studies conclude that climate change is real and humans are causing it’. You may have also wondered about the remaining 3 per cent. As some have argued, perhaps they are the last bastion of independent science, […]

Grassroots movement helping Caribbean reefs to recover

August 25th, 2017 In a rare piece of good news on the status of our coral reefs, a new report has documented the spectacular recovery of reefs in Belize thanks to a grassroots movement bringing together scientists, environmentalists, fishermen and tour operators. The Healthy Reefs for Healthy People Initiative (HRI) studied 300 sites along the […]

New Harvard study finds ExxonMobil misled public about climate change for decades

August 24th, 2017 The petroleum giant ExxonMobil deliberately misled the public about the causes of climate change and its implications for the past 40 years. That is the conclusion of a study just published in Environmental Research Letters by renowned Harvard science historian, Professor Naomi Oreskes and her colleague Dr. Geoffrey Supran. The Harvard researchers […]

Global experts selected for critical IPCC climate change reports

August 18th, 2017 The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has invited over 200 experts from countries on each continent to prepare two separate special reports on how climate change will impact critical aspects of the Earth. The reports will document existing scientific knowledge and the linkages between climate change and land and climate change […]

ANALYSIS: Leaked report shows ‘real’ climate change impacts at odds with Trump’s ‘fake’ news rhetoric

August 11th, 2017 A leaked federal climate science report reveals how serious the impacts of climate change have already been in the US and will give Trump and his administration a new headache. The 673-page report was prepared by 50 leading scientists from 13 federal agencies – including the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) […]

New study shows traffic air pollution stalls children’s brain development

August 3rd, 2017 Traffic-related air pollution in cities can hinder the brain development of children, according to a Spanish study of over 2,500 school children. The study, which is part of the EU-funded BREATHE project, found that higher concentrations of traffic-related airborne pollutants reaching classrooms negatively impacted children’s performance. Of the 2,687 students that were […]

Air pollution caused by climate change will increase premature deaths

August 3rd, 2017 Future climate change is expected to cause about 60,000 additional deaths from air pollution in the year 2030 and 260,000 deaths in 2100, new research has found. The study, published in Nature Climate Change is one of the most comprehensive of its kind to date, using data from several atmospheric chemistry and climate models. […]

LONG READ – Humans are causing one of the worst mass extinctions in Earth history

July 21st, 2017 Humans are the root cause of the ‘biological annihilation’ of life on Earth, according to a study published recently in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). The study – conducted by a team of scientists from the National Autonomous University of Mexico and Stanford University – studied population […]