CREATIVE CONSUMPTION CASHEL: One of Ireland’s oldest towns is giving recycling a new lease of life
October 5th, 2016
As part of National Reuse Month, Environmental Group Voice are hoping to change the habits of the people of Cashel, Co Tipperary.
Voice wants to encourage the people of the town to cut their consumption. The new drive called is called Creative Consumption Cashel.
They are asking the residents of Cashel to be creative in how they view and use the clothes and items they have at home and how they can be more adventurous in their purchases. Instead of buying new, they are encouraging the upcycling of clothes, repair of our old equipment and the purchase of second-hand clothes.
Repair, reuse and upcycling are ways to keep valuable resources and items out of landfill and away from littering our countryside. We are planning several activities in Cashel during October to get people to think again about the value of products which may have second and third lives.
In addition to the various events, they are also urging the people of Cashel to use reusable coffee cups when getting take-away coffee and to keep a reusable water bottle always in reach. Voice are interested in hearing how much money people could save by using their reusable water bottle rather than spending the €1.50 for bottled water.
VOICE is working with local shops, cafes and petrol stations to encourage individuals to use their own coffee cups. They will feature participating shops on our Facebook page,
- Friday, 14th October, Spafield Resource Centre from 10-11:30am: Upcycle your old clothes and materials to create your child’s Halloween Costume, with Winnie Looby. Booking at firstname.lastname@example.org or 087 289 3492 essential as places are limited.
- Saturday, 15th October, Cashel Public Library from 2-4pm:Trash into Treasure Recycled Art Workshop with Berna Hannigan. Ages 8-12. Places limited so please book at the Library or call 062 63825.
- Sunday, 23rd October, Halla na Feile, 12-2: Baby Market to sell outgrown children’s clothes and equipment or buy good pre-loved items at a discount. Contact Angie at email@example.com to book a stall.
- Wednesday, 26th October, Halla na Feile, 7:30-9:30: Charity Shop Bring and Buy Fashion Show. Outfits from NCBI and Second Chance Charity Shops. No tickets, but please bring cleanclothes you don’t wear anymore. Donate them and buy something new (old). Small donation at the door and all proceeds go to National Council for the Blind and the local Meals on Wheels. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 087 289 3942.
- St. John the Baptist NS, 12-2: Second-hand bike sale. Empty your old bikes from your sheds and give them a new lease of life. Sell/buy a bike with a small donation going to the school. Bike Mechanics on-site to ensure bike safety.
[x_button shape=”square” size=”regular” float=”none” href=”http://voiceireland.org/general-news/creative-consumption-cashel/” info=”none” info_place=”top” info_trigger=”hover”]Click here to find out more about the event[/x_button]
[x_author title=”About the Author”]